My life, my blog, and B-school somewhere inbetween

A catalog of one reapplicant's journey towards an MBA in 2008

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Let's Get Ready to Rumble!

Studio Host: Hello folks, welcome to Chicago's beautiful Magnificant Mile and boy do we have a fight for you. It has been the talk of the town for weeks now, but tonight will be the night we find out the fate of one of the veteran bloggers of the business school applicant community, Redwolf056. And how fitting it is that the fight will be a grudge match between two of the midwest's fiercest rivals- the University of Chicago GSB and Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management. Here's what Kellogg had to say earlier today...

(cut to interview clip)

Kellogg: It's gonna be a great fight tonight, no doubt about it. I have a lot of respect for the GSB. It's got a lot of smart people over there. But, you know, I think this fight is going to come down to the social aspects - having fun and that kind of stuff - and we've got the GSB beat on that front.

Interviewer: So you think you're going to win?

Kellogg: Well, I'm not exactly sure about that yet. I have to consult my team first. Hey, team? Team? What does everyone think about my chances of winning? Can we come to a consensus on this one?

(cut back to studio)

Host: Interesting thoughts. And here's what the GSB had to say earlier...

(cut to interview clip)

GSB: Oh yeah, I'm going to win this fight. No problem. I got the academics and the finance rep. You know, Kellogg is one of the nicest and coolest dudes I know, but it won't be able to hold up in a street fight. I may be from Wall Street, but when you live in the ghetto you're bound to pick up a few things. I ran a spreadsheet model with multifactor monte carlo simulations and calculated my probability of winning at 62%. The numbers don't lie man.

Interviewer: You seem pretty confident, but where's your trainer and the rest of your team?

GSB: Oh, them? Yeah, the last two got shot as we were mugged leaving campus for the fight, but most got taken out during the recruiting season last quarter. One of the career changers couldn't take the competition and went postal. You know how it is.

(cut back to studio)

Host: There you have it folks. Two great contenders vying for the love of one great blogger. Let's take you down street-side for the start of the fight.

(cut to street)

Announcer: Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce our competitors tonight. On the north side of the street, weighing in at 555 students, hailing from the beautiful suburb of Evanston, the pride of every team, the one, the only, Kellogg!!!

(applause)

Announcer: And on the south side of the street, weighing in at 550 students, hailing from the mean streets of Hyde Park, the master of matlab, the one, the only, Chicago GSB!!!

(applause)

Referee: Ok boys, I want a nice clean street fight here. After I blow the whistle, I get the hell out of here and you do whatever you want to each other. No rules here. The winner will be chosen by Redwolf056, a business school applicant with a strong quantitative financial research background intending to work in fixed income markets after school. Any questions? No? Ok. When I blow this whistle come out trash talking.

(whistle blows)

to be continued...

9 Comments:

  • At March 26, 2006 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The stereotype of Kellogg is that its a marketing school. How do stereotypes become stereotypes...they're usually true. If you want finance, go to Chicago.

     
  • At March 27, 2006 2:33 PM, Blogger mbaformein08 said…

    The mask of anonymity comes off! Sounds like you've found me. But hmm, you remain somewhat of a mystery. However I have a guess -- did I try to suggest I had emailed/pinged you somehow, when in fact I hadn't? You can't leave me in limbo, that's torture!

    See you at DAK...

     
  • At March 27, 2006 2:35 PM, Blogger mbaformein08 said…

    Oh, and a second question. Re: my observation on MBA Cutie's blog about Thursday night... what do you think? Did you get the impression a few people were on the prowl?

     
  • At March 27, 2006 3:06 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    lol. I always love your humor. Well, being a fellow Chi admit I will be biased towards the south side (yo yo!). Let's go, GSB!

    Announcer: "Now enters the REEEEDDDD WOLLFFFFF!!" *the crowd roars*

     
  • At March 27, 2006 4:09 PM, Blogger mbaformein08 said…

    Hmm, that does help narrow it down, however apparently I am not as observant as I thought I was (and my abysmal short-term memory is rearing its ugly head right now.) If you were responsible for a late night round of shots... then thank you, again! :)

    Please come up and say hello again at DAK! And good luck with your decision!

     
  • At March 28, 2006 1:00 AM, Blogger MGalBlue said…

    I loveeeeeeee your sense of humor. You should consider a career as a sports commentator. This is seriously the best blog entry I have ever seen. You rock!!!

     
  • At March 28, 2006 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You seem like a cool guy...The odds are in favor of KELLOGG!!!

     
  • At March 31, 2006 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chicago all the way. No contest. Sronger alumni network, More rigorous classes, More flexibility ...... Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

     
  • At August 01, 2015 4:18 AM, Blogger David Sarker said…

    Give us your scenario and tell us about your bad situation or run in with a thug! We want to hear it!! Subscribe Now

     

Post a Comment

<< Home