My life, my blog, and B-school somewhere inbetween

A catalog of one reapplicant's journey towards an MBA in 2008

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Things are looking good. A little too good...

Had the old CBS interview. Haven't had a chance to do a writeup til now. But as I sit here and think about how it went, I'm not sure a writeup would even be helpful to my fellow applicants. See, I had a fairly unusual interview. Turns out I used to play with my interviewer's sister when we were like 3 or 4 years old (he's about 5 years older than me). So, the guy was sort of like, "I know your family, this should be a pretty simple interview." And it was. We more or less had a two-sided conversation. Originally we were supposed to do it over a beer, which would have been even more fitting, but meetings and time constraints caused it to be an in-the-office deal. Anyway, the interview started out more like me interviewing him, which was kind of weird. And then I eventually got to start talking about myself, hit every major point, took about an hour all in all, and I gotta say it was actually a pleasure to do the interview. Just because of the completely informal design and the guy kind of lauded me the whole way through (yes, lauded me). I must say also, his style has a bit of genius to it because not only did he manage to make me feel so comfortable that I was able to give a full detailed account of who I am, he also managed to very subtley ask the right questions to get the few specifics he needed which I hadn't discussed. He really knew how to direct the conversation without interupting the flow. Throughout the whole thing he kept reassuring me by interjecting how something I've done is really important to the evaluation because it shows XYZ about me. I was most impressed when he kind of stopped me and was like, "wait a minute, is it normal for someone who does [what I do- quant stuff] to also manage the development of a resulting product from start to finish and deal with clients?" The answer (at my company at least) is "no", but he was the only person I've ever met who appreciated that I was capable of doing those two very different things. I'm generally modest about these things, but once in a while it's really nice to get some appreciation. And of course, at the end when he explicitly says "Columbia needs more people like you", you know Redwolf is feeling pretty good about himself ;-). As we were walking out, he elaborates that he felt he didn't need to ask me a lot of questions because he could "just tell" based on how I spoke on the phone and what was on my resume. So I guess I was destined to succeed? Too bad my actual application sucks. Oh, and it was only when we get to the street corner where we were to part ways that I even said, "so how's your sister anyway?"

11 Comments:

  • At March 09, 2006 10:05 PM, Blogger Forrest Gump said…

    you are one lucky man. I envy you ! but anyways - good luck :)

     
  • At March 10, 2006 1:58 AM, Blogger Marina said…

    Score!!!

     
  • At March 10, 2006 11:05 AM, Blogger Mave said…

    Fabulous!! Redwolf has every reason to feel good about himself :)

    Where'll you decide if it's between Columbia and Chicago? OK, you may defer answering that question :)

     
  • At March 10, 2006 1:25 PM, Blogger mba jackass said…

    Awesome - they didn't ask where else you had applied?

     
  • At March 10, 2006 4:29 PM, Blogger sorebrek said…

    Tristram Shandy eh? Sure, it is bawdy for sure.

    Hey, you left us hanging with the "how's your sister" question. Any potential there?

     
  • At March 10, 2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Redwolf056 said…

    The guy did ask where else I applied, to which I said "I got into C and K already, but I wouldn't be here if I wasn't interested." I also made some faux-disparaging remark about Wharton to cover that base, and left it at that.

    The sister... Didn't think to pursue that avenue. She's in Boston or something.

     
  • At March 10, 2006 9:21 PM, Blogger PupStar78 said…

    Wow, very nice. You might have three very attractive admits in hand soon.

    And, frankly speaking, I'm a fan of any post in which bloggers refer to themselves in third person.

     
  • At March 11, 2006 12:46 AM, Anonymous brotherjimmy said…

    Congrats on the awesome interview...sounds like everything is rolling your way.

     
  • At March 14, 2006 11:12 AM, Blogger mba jackass said…

    sounds good - email me at mbajackass@gmail.com if you want to coordinate.

    if you wind up going solo: once you have your luggage you should call 847-864-7500 for a cab, which will result in a flat rate that will be lower than the meter. (this according to my kellogg friend)

     
  • At April 02, 2012 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At April 02, 2012 7:22 AM, Anonymous MAT MBA Colleges said…

    Those measures would only penalize the majority of b-school applicants, who are genuine, honest, and thoughtful in their approach to MBA admissions.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home