My life, my blog, and B-school somewhere inbetween

A catalog of one reapplicant's journey towards an MBA in 2008

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Re: Anonymous

In response to my last post, the Anonymous poster which offended MBA Jackass so much (I think it's him) left this comment-


Since you made some sense in your last paragraph, I will NOT say "Have fun at your cult." It's always important to think for yourself.

And for what down to earth people (and you made note of this) think of the spaghetti sticks and marshmallows read "Year One" by Robert Reid. I'm paraphrasing here, but once the protagonist learns that he has to do something like that at HBS, he says "I'm tired of this Northwestern crap." I thought that was pretty funny.



Well, Anonymous, if I still cared what people had to say about me I might say something like "thanks for not labeling me a cultist", but, sorry, I don't, so I won't. I will comment on your belief in thinking for oneself though because I think it is a relavant topic. My undergraduate education was founded on this principle in comination with questioning all of one's assumptions and preconceived notions. That will always be a part of my thought process. And while I do believe most people do not know how to do this and are easily influenced, just because Kellogg has a very strong sense of "school spirit" does not logically mean students do not think for themselves. It might very well be the case that the school is so good that the overwhelming majority of the people really like it. My experiences there and hanging out with future classmates have not contradicted this possibility. And I did meet a 1st year who was not so "rah rah" at DAK. He wasn't into the "party" scene so much, but he still liked the school and didn't seem to dislike the people. Upon entry to DAK I did think the first years were a bit nutty with their passion for the school. I was expecting this as I had heard so much about it beforehand. While it was weird to have this passion thrust upon me before I had actually experienced what all the hype was about, by the end of DAK I did not think them so nutty anymore. They were just having a really good time at Kellogg and wanted to share it with others. These "sharing" and "really friendly" things were just foreign to my New York lifestyle ;-).

But, while I would not characterize the atmosphere as "cultish" yet, I have not completely ruled out this possibility either. I have not gone through enough of the academics to draw any strong conclusions. B-school socialization in general is not typically intellectual, so to draw conclusions about our topic solely from this area of the Kellogg experience would be shortsighted. The classroom is where I would expect to find individual thinking. Kellogg's focus on teamwork and collaboration might hinder this and create "one mind", and if it does then the school will get a "re-education facility" label from me. So, the possibility is out there, but, Anonymous, I'm pretty sure you do not have enough evidence to justify such a claim. I would suggest you "think" a bit more before you speak.

And on your last comment, if I were to believe in the stereotypes of arrogance and egotism at HBS, should I be surprised that the HBS student thought building a tower out of spaghetti and marshmallows was "stupid" or "beneath him" or "Northwestern"? I enjoyed it as a problem solving exercise and the opportunity to try to construct something (I liked playing with Legos a lot as a kid). It is the narrow minded thinker who does not give something different a fair chance...

Oh, and how you could label Kellogg people "cultish" and HBS people "down to earth" on a relative scale is beyond me.

Comments?

5 Comments:

  • At April 12, 2006 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Obviously, some people view the teamworking value of Kellogg as fluff. Like I said, it was mentioned in "Year One". It's a good read, but "Snapshots from Hell" was a little bit better.

     
  • At April 12, 2006 5:46 PM, Blogger Redwolf056 said…

    Yeah, to be honest, I'm not so big on the whole teamwork thing. I chose Kellogg over Chicago for the social atmosphere and easier recruiting. Even my Kellogg interviewer, who also works in finance, said at times the teamwork thing drove him nuts. I can see why being able to work in a team setting is important when you're working on large projects or if you're a manager, but perhaps Kellogg overdoes it. I can't say until I've experienced it for real. But, either way I'll just do what I always do in team settings- work really hard at finding good teammates, and if I can't, work really hard to make up for weak teammates' deficiencies. Such is life. If he cares about the task, Redwolf does not allow his name to be associated with shoddy work.

     
  • At April 12, 2006 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOW Redwolf. You handled my comments a whole lot better than MBAjackass. You rock!! I wish you the best at Kellogg (notice I didn't say cult) :)

     
  • At April 21, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger MBA Cutie said…

    The teamwork thing can be frustrating! I think you made a good choice regarding recruiting and social life.

    I am a little shocked that HBS grads have a rep of being "down to earth". Can't say the ones I know and/or have met really are.

    Kellogg is not cultish! It's just united. :) You'll have a great time there! And you and MBA J and MBAformein08 better come visit Ann Arbor... I can think of plenty of reasons you'd want to! ;)

    Best,
    MBA Cutie

     
  • At April 25, 2006 3:52 PM, Blogger qzoink said…

    Hey! Congrats on being in the BoB top 10! Looks like you are far from modern computing these days, no updates?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home