My life, my blog, and B-school somewhere inbetween

A catalog of one reapplicant's journey towards an MBA in 2008

Saturday, June 03, 2006

M-B-What?

Been a while, thought I'd drop in on the MBA blogging community. Travels and all, you know. No time to sit for hours at a computer. And I'm not good like MBAJ or Marina who'd put up a whole bunch of pictures and talk all about their trips, etc. Sorry. Anyway, thought I'd mention that in the last 6 weeks that I've been traveling, I've only met one person who'd even heard of an MBA. And I've met a LOT of people. Granted, most are backpackers who basically just work for a couple years in random jobs to save for traveling, but still, I thought they might have heard of it like back home. The one guy who did know of it worked in the finance department of a telecom, and I was trying to sell him on the merits of the MBA for what he wanted to do after traveling. He, and just about everyone else, just couldn't get over the cost. Everyone I've met can't fathom paying $120,000 for four years tuition for undergrad, let alone and additional $120K for an MBA! Nobody pays for undergrad in Europe, it seems. Or if they do it's a couple thousand. A bunch of these people take out like $10K in loans so they can go traveling. And that's all the debt they have. Why can't we have this kind of system?

9 Comments:

  • At June 05, 2006 2:22 PM, Blogger Marina said…

    That is crazy. During my 5 day trek to Machu Picchu I ran into 3 people on the trail who were totally interested in getting an MBA, on guy on the train ride back who was applying this coming fall, and not to mention the crazy wench had one herself :)

     
  • At June 10, 2006 10:27 PM, Blogger Anand said…

    If you do go around in developing countries ppl cannot get over the cost. For example in india there are some great schools such as IIms and ISb where some ppl spend Rs 5 lakh i.e. just over 10,00 dollars to secure a job with $100,000 or $120,000. Also if you from a country like india it would take you almost 10-15 years to save $100,000 in an average job. Final point being hte mentality is also conservative, very few ppl are up for the financial risk. Finally I guess the culture is more spending within means than running on credit in developing countries.
    wow - i almost wrote an essay in favor of....

     
  • At June 17, 2006 6:16 PM, Anonymous Daniel said…

    If you are interested in undergraduate prices in Europe, I can tell you that my tuition for five years of college education (Software Engineer + Ms. Computer Science) was about €3,000; 600€ per 60-70 annual credits ;)

    Peanuts, comparing with the MBA actual costs..

     
  • At June 19, 2006 4:19 AM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    Good to hear you're having fun traveling the world!

    Yes, the impending debt is already burning a hole in my pocket - *ouch* - burned all the way to my leg.

    We're all in this to reap the benefits later. :-) Party hard in... whichever country you are in... before school begins!

     
  • At July 22, 2006 5:34 AM, Blogger Redwolf056 said…

    Well, I wanted to write a post but the internet cafe I'm at in Estonia won't let me enable cookies. Oh well. Sooner or later Redwolf will return...

     
  • At July 24, 2006 1:59 PM, Blogger Marina said…

    You caught me. I was trying to punish your absence but it didn't work! I am actually not sure how I missed it. You're on there now!

    Are you back yet?

     
  • At August 11, 2006 12:50 PM, Blogger Forrest Gump said…

    you seem to have vanished?

     
  • At July 28, 2011 8:29 AM, Anonymous MBA Colleges in delhi said…

    Hey hi...i just go through your post.it's really awesome. i think here is the place where people can share their knowledge easily. I appreciate your work. Thank you for sharing such a nice Information.

     
  • At August 02, 2011 2:58 AM, Anonymous B School Bangalore said…

    yeah this post is nice and informative.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home